Why recover energy from waste?
After reduce, reuse, recycle, the recovery of energy from waste is considered to be the most sustainable option for treatment of waste. There are a number of benefits:
- It diverts the maximum amount of waste from landfill.
- It treats waste that cannot be recycled or composted that is currently landfilled.
- It reduces the amount of methane released from landfill (methane is more than 20 times more effective at trapping heat within the atmosphere than carbon dioxide).
- It generates energy in the form of electricity and heat.
- It provides indigenous energy supply – adding to the UK’s energy security.
- It generates renewable and low carbon energy – contributing to the UK’s renewable energy targets.